PO Box 361
Kitimat, BC V8C 2G8
Kitimat Marine Rescue Society
The Kitimat Marine Rescue Society (KMRS) is a non-profit society established for the financial and logistic support of Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary Unit 63 in Kitimat, B.C. We cover the area from Kitimat to the Hecate Strait.
As a prime resource, we work in partnership with the Canadian Coast Guard to provide marine search and rescue and marine safety services.
Volunteer members from our community, often at the risk of their own lives, make Society activities and Search & Rescue missions possible. Incorporated in 1988, we are one of 55 volunteer units on the BC Coast.Our services make the difference between life and death when emergencies occur in our Northern Waters.
Benefits of our service
1. We build marine safety competence by providing the following:
• Boating safety training
• Marine radio training
• PFD (Personal Flotation Device) loaner station for children at the marina
• Participation in safety fairs
2. Community members – their family, friends and business associates, visitors, small and medium enterprises, community organizations and industry all benefit from the services we provide
3. We are the safety net which ensures enjoyable recreational and prosperous industrial use of local waterways.
4. We play an important role in securing safe and efficient passage of recreational and commercial shipping vessels with our 24/7 readiness emergency response services to any of the following scenarios:
• Vessels in distress including but not limited to, collisions, fires and groundings
• Medical evacuations and emergency first aid
• Man overboard search from deep sea ships and pleasure crafts
• Overdue vessel search
• Environmental response
5. We contribute to the reduction in number and severity of marine incidents
Our services provide direct economic benefit to industrial and public marine users by promoting protection of life, property and the environment.
6. We offer the opportunity for employees of any prospective donor to volunteer with us, learn marine skills and share in our culture of safety. Volunteering with us would reinforce and facilitate the transmission of safety consciousness to the workplace and at home, and provide an opportunity to give back to the community.
The Kitimat Marine Rescue Society is a registered not for profit organization (Revenue Canada Charitable Number: 134696160RR0001). Tax receipts will be issued for all donations. With your support we will be better equipped for safety and continued service.